Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Summer School - Building Bricks with STEM Challenges!

Hiya! I am smack dab in the middle of teaching summer school to kiddos who just finished first grade. My class is Building Skills and it is all focused around those little building bricks that rhyme with EGOS.

When I signed up to teach summer school I already had the building bricks in mind and this age level is perfect for them! They have loved every minute of it!

Of course we are practicing reading and math skills with our building bricks but on the last day of the week we have a STEM challenge!!!
Here are some pictures of the Build a Boat STEM Challenge!

I love how this group gave their Brick Guy a flag!

Find bulding bricks at garage sales or clicking the picture below to be taken to Amazon to order! (affiliate link)


I love how this little one made her Building Brick into a GIRL! I just love kids!

This group had some GRAND plans for their boat!


This building brick activity was they rolled the dice(or two and add)and they got to add that many bricks from a pile on the center of their table to their building until all the bricks were gone they then shared their creations.  To get these great foam dice that I use ALL the time click the picture below (affiliate link)


This was a fun activity I found online and the students started with a stack of bricks and had to add or subtract according to what they landed on.


We also practiced adding and subtracting with a building brick number line. I find students aren't comfortable with number lines and so I try to add them in as often as possible! They were all about trying out THIS number line!


This is one of the teams Build a Bridge STEM challenge - they all decided this was their FAVORITE challenge! They loved it and spent a LONG time designing and updating their bridges!


WE threw in some building brick writing prompts!


And sight word building activities!

This has been one of my favorite summer school sessions that I have ever taught!  If you want to purchase these large building blocks click on the picture below (affiliate link)


The 4 STEM challenges we did can be found in my Building Brick STEM set.


There are 4 challenges.


Build a bridge and boat which are pictured above.

 And build a maze and car! The students loved them ALL!


Monday, June 27, 2016

Monday Made It - My Twist on the Teacher Toolbox


Hiya! I have been wanting to participate in the Monday Made-its on 4th Grade Frolics all summer! I just haven't really made anything! Until now! If you are just tuning in I am going back to the classroom after 1 1/2 years off. And I will be 6th grade (as of right now). Not my preferred grade level but I prayed for it to be "exactly where God wanted me" or not at all so here I am. I have met my teaching partners both new to the district and grade level! I think we are going to be an awesome team! I have been researching all things 6th grade since finding out! Oh well except for Math - the good news - I don't have to teach Math. One of my partners loves Math and is going to teach my kids math and I will do her Reading, Spelling and Grammar.
And now on to the project! This is a project I have had in mind since the end of school when I found out I had a job and someone was giving away some old metal library card catalogs. In my head I instantly saw a Teacher's Tool box!

So I brought home the card catalogs and told my hubby what I wanted.
This is what they looked line before. There are three of them.


To begin we took out the drawers and removed everything we could.


This included the handles, knobs, metal, rod and adjustable support. When we put it back together we were able to use just the knob and a screw so that items in the drawers would lay flat.


Next we prepped them for painting, using steel wool we gently scrubbed.


Then wiped them down with acetone smoothing out the surface and removing any dirt, residue or remaining bits of steel wool.


Then we painted the frames in a back and forth motion.


Then it was time for the hardware which I wanted to be silver. We started with the hardware we removed. We laid it all out on some spare cardboard and went to work.


Then we masked off the plates on the drawers using painters tape, covering the entire front of the drawer except the plate and center of the plate which will be covered with a label.


Every little bit including the corners which required extra tape because they are rounded.



Finally we replaced all the hardware and stacked them together!


Pretty impressive for a freebie, some paint and some work! My hubby got so into it! It was pretty cute! I love that he is so handy!


I made labels for what I want to keep in the drawers and this is the final product! I am so thrilled with how it turned out! I can't wait to put it in my new classroom and fill it up!

That's my only project for this week but I have some more in the works! Check back next week to see what I've checked off my never ending to do list!